Monday, January 4, 2010

Monday Blah's

I'm about to go make dinner. I really need to use some leftovers up. I think tonight though...I am going to stir up a can of Campbell's tomato soup and have it with some focaccia bread leftover from yesterdays lunch. Might even get creative and stir in some cheese.  Yes...I have the Monday Blah's, made even worse by an incredibly long and delightful weekend.  It was very hard to get back up for work this morning.  It was much harder upon the realization that I don't have a paid holiday again until May.  Add to that, the fact that it's bone chilling cold here in the northern most part of Illinois. Gloomy indeed. I brought some of last night's leftovers for lunch and co-workers were fairly impressed.  It's not often I get that. Then again....my meals before were standard midwest meat and potatoes.  So 4 days into this, I am not having any cravings for meat. I think mostly because I am focusing so much on finding and cooking meat free. Heaven help me if that ever stops.
One of my worries, aside from the standard protein issues most starting vegetarians have, is B vitamins.  Vitamin B12 is found mainly in animal products. I still drink milk and will eat eggs occasionally but I am afraid that I do not consume enough of either to get a fair or healthy amount of B12 in my diet. I bought something called Nutritional Yeast.  It's in a jar much like Parmesan Cheese and you sprinkle it on your food.  I'm going to try and add that once in awhile to my meals. Hopefully that will ward off the sluggish feeling some people get when they go meat free.
Since it is Monday, I would like to encourage all my friends reading to join the Meat Free Monday movement.  One night a week, give up the meat. Stella McCartney, daughter of Paul, founded this movement, and even if you don't agree with the environmental statistics, give it a try for the health benefits.
 You can learn more here.
Hope everyone has a great week and stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment