Saturday, January 16, 2010

I can't believe I made these

Spicy Black Bean Burgers.  Started thinking about grilling season because I know that will be my biggest challenge. I decided to try and find a recipe for veggie burgers that looked simple. Boy did I find it.  Found this recipe over at Allrecipes.com. Looked very easy. A lot of the comments though talked about the burgers falling apart easily so I did alter the recipe a bit. OK OK I altered it because I like short cuts ;) .  It sure did make it easier and even a little spicier. You can add your choice of dried spices, veggies, herbs etc but I went with my favorite Tastefully Simple Salsa Mix.



Spicy Black Bean Burgers
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup Tastefully Simple Simply Salsa Mix

Drain the beans, getting out as much moisture as possible. Mash beans. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Shape into patties (about 4). Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (Can be frozen also) When ready to cook..preheat over to 350. Line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with non-cook spray and place burgers on foil.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, flip and bake for 10-12 minutes more.  Serve on buns topped with your choice of hamburger toppings.


I topped mine with Steak Sauce. I got that little tip from my friend Megan. What a difference it makes too. Thanks Megan. I feel very confident that grilling season will not be that big of a challenge now that I have something to fall back on.  I also bought a cookbook today. The Vegetarian 5 Ingredient Gourmet by Nava Atlas.  Lots of simple recipes to try out. I will most definitely share my adventures with those.



No comments:

Post a Comment